Mortal Citizens Aug 2022 - Nazgrub, realmstone prospector

 

After a short hobby break I'm back with a few greenskins just in time for Orktober. I'm still planning to complete the #mortalcitizens challenge for this year, so here's my entry for August (even though it's already October). The theme for August was Smith/Industry/Chemist/Alchemist and as I already painted a Smith in March, I decided to go in a different direction.

Nazgrub wanders around the realms, always on the search for realmstones. He sells Bones of Amber to Wurrgog Prophets and Chamonite to orruk smiths, who feed it to their Gruntas to create pig-iron with special properties. He's always accompanied (more or less voluntarily) by Pik the snotling and Pak the grot. While Pik's job is to crawl into crevices that are too small for Nazgrub, Pak has the "honour" of carrying the stones they found.




The orruk is actually a special character from Gorkamorka known as Nazgrub Wurrzag, Scrap Prospector. It's another one of those models that I ordered 15+ years ago from the Mail Order, when you could still buy specific bits from Games Workshop. I converted the miniature a bit by replacing his gun-wielding arm by a shovel-wielding one, which fits the AoS aesthetic as well as his backstory better. The shovel head was made from green stuff and put on a WHFB Orc warriors spear arm.




The grot was originally part of the Goblin Rock Lobber crew, while Pik is one of the C14 snotlings. The mushrooms on the bases are from Mini Monsters.

I painted Nazgrub using the currently trending Slapchop technique and I must say I'm quite pleased with the result. I especially like the vibrant green skintone, which was achieved using Striking Scorpion Green Contrast paint. I'm also quite fond of the snotling's skintone, it might become my new go-to recipe for brighter green skin (in comparison to the darker Black Orc skin I use frequently). I started with Orruk Flesh as a base, then shaded the skin with Mantis Warriors Green, then went back to Orruk Flesh for a highlight layer and then added a final highlight with Nurgling Green.

Comments