Orruk Brute Ragerz

For my Ironjawz army, I recently painted some Brute Ragerz. These berserkers are some of my favourite orc/orruk sculpts released in recent years, I love how dynamic they are. One of them (the one with the mask) is actually from the Underworlds warband Morgok's Krushas, aptly named 'Ardskull.

Since a large portion of the models is skin, I decided to prime them green, similar to the Savage Orruks and Wyvern I painted last year. This time, however, I went a step further and first primed them with a darker green (Colour Forge Salamander Green) followed by a zenithal spray of Vallejo Goblin Green to add some light/shadow variation. Afterwards I simply added different green Contrast Paints to achieve different shades of green skin. I'm very happy with the result and already started working on a few more Savage Orruks using the same method.



For the metal parts, I stippled Vallejo Gunmetal on top of a black base coat, washed it with Nuln Oil and finally added some edge highlights with Vallejo Air Silver, similar to the approach described in this tutorial.
After finishing the models (before adding the blood effect) I applied a matte varnish. I've been using satin varnish before, and while I quite like the matte finish, I don't like the dulling effect it has on metallics - I may have to add the varnish before painting the metallics in the future or switch back to satin.

Next I'll be painting some scenery for Dave's yearly Season of Scenery challenge, most probably some terrain for my Ogors.

 

Comments